Tags

,

St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Kansas City, KS is located atop Strawberry Hill, a traditionally Croatian section in KCK.  From the high ground of the Church there is a clear view of Downtown Kansas City (see the picture at the top of this blog).  The first cornerstone of the church was blessed on May 15, 1904 and each priest who has served the parish has spoken Croatian.

Located behind the church, at 414 Barnett Ave, is the St John’s Catholic Club.  Built in 1925, the club aimed to keep Croatian men off the streets and out of trouble.  Inside the club there is a bar, pool table, and a 6 lane bowling alley.  There are still active leagues and the building can be rented out for functions.

    

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

 

Advertisements