The Kansas City Scottish Rite of Freemasonry building, located at 1330 E Linwood Road, was completed in 1929. According to the Kansas City Scottish Rite’s website, however, the economic climate of the 1930’s led to financial problems for the group and they lost the building in 1939. They regained it in 1971 and have been at The Paseo and Linwood location ever since.
The building is guarded by two sphinxes. The statues, weighing 20,000 pounds apiece, were created by sculptor Jorgen Dreyer in 1928. Dreyer was an immigrant who carved numerous works around the city and was a teacher at the Fine Arts Institute. The back of the sphinx heads are adorned with Masonic symbols.
CLICK ON PICTURES FOR LARGER VIEW